Born in the spring with the Forget-me-nots

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Palau - work part 1: meetings

Field work in Palau. That may not conjure up images of meetings... but that is what we did. Re-connecting, networking, and just sitting down across the table from people. Palau is a small island nation, and face time, is how things get done. So, off we went all over the city to meet with various people, and get some balls that had been very stuck (and been starting to grow moss...) rolling again. We did take some time to stop and snap some photos though.
We stopped at this place and wandered around. I think it is the old Japanese headquarters from WWII.
you know me... I love abandoned buildings!
I took a lot of photos!
Here are just a few!
We took a short trip up to the site. This is a view of the repeater station from where the antennas are located at the data center! (It is that little white dot on the hill) That made sense right? We don't have line of sight to all of our elements so the data is shot to the repeater site and back to the data center. "Data Center" if fancy for "the computer". The computer then sends the data out through our satellite dish.
The community college where our computer is located, was gifted the containers the original equipment came in. They turned one into a nice out building!
There was an entomological collection next door! I took a bunch of photos for you know who! ;)
eewwww. Back to town!
A note on the geology of Palau. Those hills covered in trees, those are limestone. Palau is an old volcanic island, it sunk below the waves and corals took over, depositing large amounts of limestone. Millions of years passed and the whole complex was uplifted. The current terrain is the result of water eroding the limestone (karst) and the erosion of the exposed volcanic rocks.
I went for a walk over to the super fancy hotel, and this guy and the next were our front. I loved them!
Even though this hotel was super fancy, I like I liked the one we stayed at more!
This beautiful sitting area was out front by the lobby.
This turtle was in the little pond.
From the hotel I could see a cave across the way in the limestone hill. (Caves are common in karst topography)
There was no time for diving on this trip... :( So I found this aquarium tank and took a few photos. They will just have to hold me until next time!
There are giant clams in Palau!
there are also tons of soft corals!
I really can't wait to get in the water next time! Ok so this next fish, he is not alive.
TUNA! This was in the sushi restaurant in the hotel when we got back from our walk. I think he was going to make a lot of yummy sushi! Ok I think I am going to end this one too after the next set. First I wanted to show you the difference between high and low tide at the hotel. We have come to the conclusion that the enture area is slowly subsiding.
observe where the water level is
and that this ramp is underwater.

same area at low tide
see the difference? 

Ok now a bunch of photos from around the hotel.
The corner deck? That was my room the first day!
That is all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment