Born in the spring with the Forget-me-nots

Monday, October 3, 2011

Place of Refuge

One day I decided to go for a little adventure, so I drove down to the "Place of Refuge” to check it out! The Place of Refugre or Pu'uHonua O Honaunau National Historic Park was definitely worth the park fee! On this site is a reconstruction of an ancient Hawaiian religious sanctuary and village.

This was one of the reconstructed structures

dont remember

The bay here is very popular for snorkeling and other aquatic activities!

the temple structure from the bay

I have seen the boards all over kona in the rocks and I am told this is a Hawaiian game, I really need to learn the rules!

I love all of the carvings!

I am sure if I could have found someone they would have explained what the heck this is!

I just love the personality all the carvings have!

These walls always impress me! They are so well built!

How can you not love this face!?

These guys look like they are having fun!

I could have stayed all day taking portraits of them all!

I mean look at the head dresses on these guys!

This one reminds me of an eagle

I believe important people used to sit on this rock and there were canopies involved with holes still there!

I think these are nets

These boats look fun!

Beautiful wood work!

I walked out the 1871 trail for a bit, it was lovely!




I still need to take Brian and then I will work on gathering more information and flush out this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment