Born in the spring with the Forget-me-nots

Monday, July 4, 2011

Hawaii days 1 and 2

June 28th and June 29th

So I made it! I have wireless internet again and the birds are singing! But lets start from the beginning shall we?

We left Eastern Washington ass early in the morning. I am talking 6am flight, and then had to take a 5hr flight to Hawaii. I don’t really like long flights but it was ok. When we landed, we collected the bags, called my new boss, and headed off to the car rental place. My honey went inside to get the car sorted out, and I sat outside and chatted with my new boss. Once we got the car we parted ways and we were off to explore our new home!

The condo. Not what I expected, but hey, it’s a place, it’s furnished, and it was ready when I got here. I am still in the process of getting everything unpacked and then there should be some photos. Soon, I promise! Well first thing was first we went to COSTCO! Oh the glorious Costco! By the time we got back (haven eaten there), and started to get unpacked it was dark. REALLY DARK. Immediately I was tired and having trouble keeping my eyes open. So we went to bed! Jet lag (and lack of light) won.

The very next day! We woke up early. The sun was not quite up yet, and the birds were singing, (we saw a gecko on the wall…), and we sat on the bed and watched the sun come up over the volcano Hualalai. After that we got down to business and drank coffee on the lanai!






We did some exploring before stopping by the office and found a cute little beach and Brian found an octopus! Oh and did I mention there are turtles out front of our place? That was an excellent way to start the day!

While we were on the way to the office, my phone range and my own car was ready to be picked up! So after stopping by the office and seeing some truly bad ass videos



March 5th through 7th both the Halema'uma'u lava lake and the Pu'u O'o vent drained!
Pu'u O'o


Halema'uma'u


We drove the saddle road over to Hilo to get my baby car! Picked it up and took a new road the belt hwy back to Kona. On the way we stopped at Laupahoehoe Point Tsunami memorial.


The tsunami that took out the village at Laupahoehoe Point was generated from a Magnitude 8.1 in the Aleutians, at Unimak Island on 1946 Apr 01 12:28:56.0 UTC. This earthquake caused only minor damage to buildings on Unimak Island, but it generated a tsunami that devasted the lighthouse and swept away its five occupants. The height of the wave at the lighthouse was estimated at about 35 meters. Tsunami damage also occurred at Dutch Harbor and Ikatan Island in the Aleutian Islands, on the west coasts of North and South America, and in Hawaii. At Hilo, Hawaii, the tsunami took 159 lives. (USGS Earthquake site)

It was a beautiful drive and it feels more real to have my car here!

No comments:

Post a Comment