Born in the spring with the Forget-me-nots

Sunday, July 24, 2011

It can’t all be perfect right?

My job is amazing, the place I live is not perfect but a wonderful location. So there has to be at least one downside right? Well funny you should ask, because I am having one hell of a time getting my car registered! Remember how I shipped it over?

Well it showed up right before the 4th of July weekend. The week of 4th of July was spent getting a mailing address (P.O. Box) and bank account, and getting married. That done the following Monday (car on island (CoI) 12 days) I called to get insurance set up. That was a Monday. Because I have been in Alaska, and apparently it takes 72 hours to get a driving record from Alaska I wasn’t cleared to get my safety check (requires local insurance) until Wednesday [CoI 14]. The place that was recommended by the insurance place did not have time on Wednesday so I took my car in Thursday for the safety check. Keep in mind I work 8-5 so all of this has to be done during my lunch break, as I have no days off until I have worked for 3 months. So Thursday I get my safety check done, and we have visiting scientists leaving in the on afternoon Friday so we worked through lunch.

Monday morning [CoI 19] I do one final check of papers before heading to the DMV and discover I don’t have my title with me. No big problem right? I bet I left it in my lock box at the condo and forgot to take it out. So that night at home I go through my papers thinking “Odd it should be around here somewhere…” then I start to panic. I have to register my car within 30 days of it being on island (so says all the paperwork). I don’t have my title, and I don’t know where it is. It could be in Alaska (because I forgot it) or Seattle (if I never got it from my parents). I call my husband (who is back in Alaska) and it’s not there, so I call my brother (since my parents are in England and I haven’t heard from there in a week). It is in Seattle. I get him to scan it and a friend to mail it (won’t be here until Thursday). Tuesday I call the DMV and explain the situation. The lady who answers the phone says its no problem they just wont reissue the Hawaii title until I bring the original in. So thinking there is no problem off I go to the DMV. The lady at the counter takes one look at my papers and refuses to issue a registration. Why? For some reason because my WA registration still says “lien on record” they can’t register my car? Oh and now I need my Dads signature since his name is also on the car. I ask “what about the 30 day thing?” and she tells me “Oh don’t worry about it!”. My parents get back from England on the 28th. It is now Sunday the 24th [CoI 25] I have the title but don’t have my Dad’s signature.

At least I tried right? I leave on the 3rd for a week and my car will still have WA plates. So that has been my 2 week car adventure that is still not done. Oh and I need to get a HI drivers license. I hate taking those tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment